The great thing about self-publishing is you have complete control of your book, the cover design, selecting your editors, the interior design and layout, distribution, marketing efforts, retailer efforts, the pricing and the timing of everything! It’s a beautiful thing to have complete control of your baby from start to finish, and oh so satisfying when you get the first copy in your hands. It’s even more satisfying to have the support of friends, family and personal and professional contacts locally and nationwide- so thank you!
Celebrating Marketing Successes:
We have SUCH an awesome and loyal following, of those who know author John Shufeldt, through business, friends and family, as well as the team here at Outliers Publishing and our networks. We are working to widen our audience by building relationships with professional development groups, book clubs, and through online marketing efforts, like social media and search engine optimization. John has also been interviewed on numerous radio shows and received some TV airtime. The books have received professional reviews from a TV anchor, a pro-football player, a supreme court justice, local educators and people of influence. They have received great Amazon reviews from consumers (even a top 100 ranked reviewer), and numerous bloggers we have no prior relationship with have penned fabulous articles about all that they have enjoyed in the book. We have been fortunate enough to have articles written about John and Ingredients of Outliers by Drake University and Teach a CEO . We have completed two successful book signings, the last one of which was hosted for us by a fabulous fifth grade teacher to help us promote our newest book, Ingredients of Young Outliers, which was embraced wholeheartedly by the faculty, students, and parents at her school. In February, we ran a free kindle download promotion for Ingredients of Outliers, and were astonished at the success; the book was ranked in the top 125 downloads on Amazon.com- what an honor! We celebrate these successes not to brag, or give ourselves any credit, but to let you know how thankful we are for your support, and also ask for your help in reaching farther beyond what we’ve already accomplished.
What’s to come and how you can help:
What’s to come is both energizing and quite the brain-full to think about all at the same time! John cast a vision after Ingredients of Outliers was published about a series that would guide and direct those who don’t have access to experts in the fields they are pursuing; a book series that offers the type of information gleaned from the greatest mentors. John believes that more people would pursue their dreams if they had someone a step ahead of them who believed in them. The experts interviewed in our upcoming books are people that we are really excited about, that we can’t WAIT to tell you about! We did recently announce a few featured in our next book which will be published in May, called Ingredients of Outliers: Women Game Changers– read up on some of these jaw-droppingly talented and amazing women outliers here. We look forward to revealing more names to you as the rest of the books get closer to publishing, but for now, here’s a list of some of the 10+ books we have scheduled to publish over the course of 2014-2015 (follow link and scroll down).
In the books, John describes an outlier as someone who steps outside of their comfort zone to exceed the limits of what they thought they could accomplish. Although we have had favorable reviews and tons of support promoting the books, we are asking for your support in a few specific ways:
1) Please review our books on Amazon– an Amazon purchase is not required, the book can be purchased on our website or if you already have the book you are still eligible to review on Amazon, here are the links where you can do that: Ingredients of Outliers Amazon Reviews and Ingredients of Young Outliers.
2) Recommend any of John’s publications to your book club or professional group. Email me for a special rate, we would love to tailor a group discount for you!
3) Help us make media connections. Here is our Ingredients of Outliers Media Kit and Ingredients of Young Outliers Media Kit– as well as John’s speaker kit. We have plenty of media worthy items up ahead, new book releases, and even some philanthropy that we can’t wait to announce.
4) Request John at a speaking engagement– His calendar fills up quickly, but loves being out in the community and has presented at many notable occasions! For example, the ASU Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law Graduation Keynote Address and Health Law lectures to graduate students, fun and interesting presentations on what it takes to be an outlier, regular segments on the Arizona Channel 3 Morning news, annual medical consulting breakouts at the UCAOA Conferences and much more. Contact us here to request him.
5) Follow us on social media and subscribe to our blog. This will give you the latest information on the Outlier Series and provide you with professional development tools in the process! We also host occasional giveaways and promotions. Facebook, Twitter (@JohnShufeldt), Instragram: (@theoutlierteam), Google +
6) Last but not least- Read the Outlier Series books and tell your friends about it! Many of you have already done this. Thank you!
This is not an all-inclusive list of everything we have done or hope to do, but if you see something you think we’re missing or want to suggest a great marketing idea, we would love your feedback below! Thanks for all of your support!
Amanda, Director of Operations, The Outlier Series